The College of Music
The College of Music of Cincinnati was founded in 1878 by George Ward Nichols and funded with a lead donation from Reuben Springer. The famed conductor Theodore Thomas was immediately hired as the director, a fitting choice since Thomas had been informally involved in education all his life by bringing symphonic music to people throughout the United States. Initially classes were held in Dexter Hall, which was adjacent to the newly-constructed Music Hall.
Thomas immediately set to work, recruiting thirty-one faculty members for the students who had enrolled. During that first year, he trained the college choir and created a college orchestra, which gave twenty-four concerts -- all the while keeping up with his May Festival duties and conducting each month for the Brooklyn Philharmonic Society.
Despite all this work, Thomas was not happy. Some news articles from that period claim that he didn't like Cincinnati and wanted to return to New York. Others cite artistic differences with the College President, George Ward Nichols. Some eighteen months after starting -- and despite a five-year contract -- Thomas resigned his position and returned to New York.
His departure didn't seem to hurt the College, which continued to grow and thrive, and in 1884 moved into a permanent building called the Odeon which featured its own concert hall. In 1889, property next door was purchased and the Lyceum was built with a smaller auditorium used for chamber concerts and lectures.
Students at the College gave weekly concerts, but the public was invited only to those performances given by graduating students.
Between 1931 and 1934, the College faced financial challenges, but was able to maintain its presence in the city with radio broadcast programs on WCKY and WLW. Then in 1936, the College developed a radio curriculum which helped boost enrollment and keep the College going.
Television equipment was installed in Dexter Hall in 1950, giving the College a radio-TV arts department that offered more than sixty courses. In 1954, in Dexter Hall, public television station WCET went on the air on July 25, broadcasting live education programs to schools and homes.
Throughout the years, discussions had been held irregularly about a potential merger with the Cincinnati Conservatory of Music, but nothing happened until 1954. Costs were exceeding income and the boards of trustees of both schools came to an agreement on how to carry out the merger. The College of Music of Cincinnati closed on July 31, 1955.
The College of Music's administration building is the only structure that remains. It is located at 1228 Central Parkway and is currently owned by the Pipe Fitters Union Local #392.